Saturday, November 21, 2009

Buah Pisang Kaki

My Dear Fidon...

I dedicate this post to the fruit known in Malay as Buah Pisang Kaki (literally meaning Foot Banana Fruit) a.k.a the Chinese Persimmon Fruit or Diospyros Sintenisii. Earlier this evening my ignorance has led me to falsely conclude that this fruit is a type of banana. In my defense, the name itself is rather misleading since the fruit has not the least resemblance to a banana. As my brother puts it, it looks more like "a cross between a tomato and an orange."
It is a good source of vitamin C and fiber and is rich in antioxidant. According to one source, this fruit contains zeaxanthin which helps preserve the light-filtering function of our eyes. According to another source source, this fruit can help lower blood pressure level and increase blood flow in the coronary artery.

The fruit can be eaten raw or used as an ingredient in cooking or dessert preparation. Dried persimmon fruit especially, is often used when making cakes, cookies and puddings. I've even come across a recipe that uses this fruit as the base for a sauce. Being such a common cooking and baking ingredient, chances are, you may have eaten one without even knowing it!

So there you go, some 411 on Buah Pisang Kaki to keep you in the know :)

2 comments:

  1. This fruit is one of my favourites..only buy when the price below or around one ringgit ,sometimes it can be as high as 3 ringgit per pc ...suka yg seedless but quite rare..mak cik cuba tanam bijinya tapi tak pernah cambah pun ,kena bawa tanah dari korea kot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Makcik :)

    Huishhh kene import tanah dari Korea la camtu..Hehe

    My mama seems to be enjoying the fruit too.

    Frankly speaking, I don't recall ever eating this fruit until yesterday when mama cut me some. But I highly suspect that I may well have eaten the fruit before without realizing it.

    I bought 5 pcs at 1 ringgit per pc, not knowing that it is considered cheap at that price. Had I known that and just how much mama likes it, I would have definitely gotten more.

    ReplyDelete